“As sunlight hits the earth and the agency of chlorophyll brings green to the fore, the centre of that chlorophyll molecule is magnesium…The whole basis of the food chain is the sunlight-chlorophyll- magnesium factor.” 
Magnesium really is a Miracle Mineral that is required for the functioning of every cell in the body. It is found in nuts, seeds and green leafy vegetables, but unless our diet is high in organic leafy greens it is unlikely we will be getting our daily requirements and magnesium deficiency ” is reported to be present in 70-80 percent of the population.”  Following research into the alarming decline of magnesium and knowing its critical importance to health Simply Naturals have now added 200 mg of Plant Derived Magnesium into their Sizzling Minerals. This is a fantastic addition and innovation and is the first supplemental source of plant derived magnesium that I have come across in my 20+ years in the health and nutrition field. Below you will see why this element is so vital to our health and well being.
Magnesium deficiency is a major factor in: cardiovascular disease, diabetes, depression, migraine, osteoporosis, PMS, ADHD, Alzheimer’s, angina, anxiety, bulimia, anorexia, fibromyalgia, Crohn’s disease, colitis, food allergies, arythmia, arthritis, asthma, autism, auto immune disorders, recurrent infections, cavities, CFS, constipation, muscle cramps, muscle weakness, MS, panic attacks, fatigue, glaucoma, myopia, obesity, Parkinson’s, hypoglycaemia, insomnia, kidney stones, Lou Gehrig’s disease, Raynaud’s, stroke and thyroid disorders, 
As a general rule any rigidity and inflexibility in our body’s structures, organs and functions indicates a magnesium deficiency.
“magnesium is considered the anti-stress mineral, it is a natural tranquiliser as it functions to relax the skeletal muscles, as well as the smooth muscles of the blood vessels and the gastrointestinal tract.” 
Magnesium is vital for maintaining the integrity of cell membranes and the intercellular environment. Our bodies are made up of trillions of cells and to maintain their survival they need to:
- Regulate mineral balance, keeping the right ratio of minerals in and out of the cell (magnesium and potassium in and calcium and sodium out)
- Be sufficiently fuelled by ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate)
- Have their enzymes effectively activating chemical reactions.
Every single one of these processes is dependent on magnesium.
“Our vital energy or life force comes from Adenosine Triphosphate and magnesium is required to activate ATP.” 
- is an essential electrolyte indispensable to all life forms 
- activates enzymes essential for protein, fat and carbohydrate metabolism
- is needed in DNA production and function
- Plays a role in the absorption of calcium, phosphorous and potassium and is crucial in the metabolism of most other minerals
- is a necessary cofactor utilised by 700-800 enzymes that perform vital metabolic functions in the body 
- contributes to optimal function of the respiratory, endocrine, digestive, hepatic and cardiovascular, systems
- controls cell membrane electrical potential and therefore determines the uptake of minerals, nutrients and hormones into cells and enables elimination of cellular waste
- is needed for the production, function and transport of insulin and cellular receptivity to insulin. The lower our magnesium levels the higher our insulin resistance
- is vital for the transmission of the hormones insulin, thyroxine, oestrogen, testosterone, DHEA, and the neurotransmitters Dopamine, Seratonin, GABA and all mineral electrolytes
- acts to prevents secondary calcification (calcification/degeneration of soft tissues such as arteries, kidneys, joints and brain). Magnesium is essential to keep calcium in the right place and to keep it in solution when it is on the move, without magnesium calcium drops out of solution and becomes deposited inappropriately. Calcification (hardening) of tissues are characteristic of old age and degeneration of the body
- acts as a thermal regulator
- activates Vitamins B6, C and E, they are useless without it
- acts as a sedative to relax the nervous system, improve mental equilibrium and improve sleep quality
- is essential for muscular relaxation, no amount of massage or manipulation will effectively release tense muscles if there is a magnesium deficiency
- supports the immune system through the production of antibodies
- plays a role in the regulation of the cardiac rhythm and muscular contraction
- counteracts the effects of ageing
- plays a role in the prevention of cancer (Studies in Germany have shown that cancer is the result of faulty energy metabolism in the mitochondria – healthy energy metabolism is impossible without magnesium.) 
- helps maintain optimum acid/alkaline balance in the body
- acts as a pain inhibitor in the central nervous system
- is the master mineral for tissue detoxification and cellular regeneration.
- inhibits the absorption of toxic metals such as lead, cadmium and aluminium, and assists in their removal from the body
“Magnesium is nothing short of a miracle mineral in its healing effect on a wide range of diseases as well as in its ability to rejuvenate the ageing body”. Walter Last, Biochemist. 
Magnesium is poorly represented in the standard diet and is poorly absorbed from rock based supplements. It is possible to absorb through the skin from magnesium oil, or Magnesium chloride salts that can be used in the bath or footbaths. Or even better- you can now get 200 mg of Plant Derived Magnesium from Sizzling Minerals.
1-Minerals for the genetic code, Charles Walters
2-The Magnesium Miracle, Carolyn Dean
3-Transdermal Magnesium Therapy, Mark Sircus
4-Staying healthy with nutrition, Elson M Haas
5-Colloidal minerals and trace elements, Marie France Muller
6-Invisible Minerals, Carolyn Dean